Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Sushi, Testies, UI/UX

Best quote today - "What do you call a bunch of testers?...TESTIES!"


It's been a couple weeks now at my current project in New York with a major financial industry client. Aside from eating sushi every day with Sam, I've definitely been getting the hang of this QA work. A lot of the manual testing has added up to a point where I've come to have a good understanding of what much of the web application does. Soon I will get to start on doing some automated testing and actually writing some code. w00t! 


I feel like as a QA, you really get to become the expert on the application as a whole, which definitely shows how interchangeable the QA and BA roles are. And with a little addition of UI/UX skills, you're ready to be the superman of all consultants. Recently I've begun to see ThoughtWorks goal of having employees that can develop cross disciplinary skillsets really come into fruition. It seems to me that the more I know about testing and automation, the better I will be at working with clients and developers as a BA, which in turn will help me be a better UI/UX designer. I'm definitely excited about the humongous opportunities here, just in being able to branch out into these three different roles. My ultimate goal is to get good at all three and become the best consultant EVER.


I'm pretty excited because they recently brought on Mike Long to our project. He is 1 of about 5 official UI/UX people that ThoughtWorks has in the U.S. So this means I get 20% of ThoughtWorks UI/UX resources to latch onto and suck all the brain power out of. I definitely believe that this is a role our company needs to expand on and I hope I can make an impact in this area. I will try to make updates in the future about my UI/UX learnings, as well as some QA/BA learnings.


Well time for bed. This little baby's called a Mexican Bulldog put me to sleep for the night :) Yes folks, it's a margarita topped with jager and an upside down bottle of corona.


No comments:

Post a Comment