Friday, October 1, 2010

Post Hardcore - not just for highschoolers!

I feel like this topic deserves a post since I've really gotten into this genre for the past year. For any traditional metal fans out there, post hardcore seems to be a huge blasphemic kick to the b*lls. Literally. The singers all sound like the love child of Vitas Bumac + Kill Hannah joined a screamo band and wanted to try techno pop. For anyone intrigued by this technometal concept, I suggest the below videos.


They also seem to love long complicated names that sound like movie titles...
A Skylit Drive, Of Mice and Men, This Romantic Tragedy, Woe is Me, Asking Alexandria, Motionless In White, His Statue Falls, Scarlett O'Hara, Someday Came Suddenly, House Vs. Hurricane, A Hero A Fake...well you get the idea. 


So why do I personally love Post Hardcore? Simple, they are the boybands of metal! For all the girls who went through N'sync and Backstreet Boys phases, this is just the cooler version of it. Who doesn't love pretty boys on stage headbanging and playing guitar? The bands also promote a very consumeristic culture specific to that highschool age era when you spend the little money you have on stuff you can get googly-eyed over. Yep I love covering my walls in my room with band posters and wearing band shirts...Maybe I will just never grow out of that phase. 


But on a serious note, in terms of talent, the music is actually really good and original. 


//Fangirl Cut// a friend and I drove 2 hours out to the to see A Skylit Drive a few months back. Managed to grab a snazzy pic with Mike the vocalist. He signed my shoe.







1 comment: